Benaiah\’s Computer Experiences

January 17, 2012

Customizing GVim in Windows 7

Filed under: Programming, Vim, windows, Windows 7 — Tags: , , , , , , — Benaiah @ 11:15 pm

I recently set up GVim on my windows 7 machine and here are some of the GUI customizations I made.

What files?

There are two files the you’ll need to customize GVim in Windows.  The _vimrc file and the _gvimrc file.  Note that in windows the file names are proceeded by and underscore character rather than a dot as in linux.  These files should be created in your “C:\Program Files\Vim” directory.  The basic rule for figuring out which file your customizations should go in is this: if it has to do with the graphic display of GVim put it in the _gvimrc file. Command type configuration should go in the _vimrc file.

Changing the theme: 

Download the color scheme to C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\colors (if this directory doesn’t exist create it)

Ex: C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\colors\wombat.vim

Add the following line to your _gvimrc file:

colorscheme [colorscheme name]

Ex: “colorscheme wombat” sans quotes.

As a side note, the wombat color scheme is one of my favorites for VIM.  Here is a quick screen shot of the wombat theme.

Vim Wombat Color Scheme

It can be downloaded here: http://dengmao.wordpress.com/2007/01/22/vim-color-scheme-wombat/

Change the default font:

Add the following line to your _gvimrc file:

set guifont=[Font Name]:[size]:cDEFAULT

Ex:  set guifont=Consolas:h11:cDEFAULT

When using GVim I also like to remove the menu bar, the tool bar and right-hand scroll bar to make the experience look more like the traditional Vim experience on a linux machine.

Remove the manu bar:

Add the following line to your _gvimrc file

set guioptions-=m

Remove the tool bar:

Add the following line to your _gvimrc file

set guioptions-=T

Remove the right-hand scroll bar:

Add the following line to your _gvimrc file

set guioptions-=r

Advertisements

May 31, 2008

Fix Broken Windows Updater after IE7 Install

Filed under: computer help, install, windows, windows maintenance — Tags: , , — Benaiah @ 8:00 pm

I have had this problem twice after first installing SP3 for Windows XP and then installing IE7 through Windows Update.  Windows Upadate breaks, it will download the updates but it fails when it tries to install them.  Here is how I fixed the problem.

1)  I created a folder called  “WUAGENT” on my C drive.  The address is C:\WUAGENT  This name is irrelevant,  you can call it whatever you want.

2) Download “WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe” to the folder you just created. Click here to download it.

3) Open a command prompt (Start >> Run and type “cmd”).  Run the following command to force run the exe file you just downloaded.

C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Windows Updater should now work again!

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.